She is on the phone talking to a her friend at 7 am while waiting for a bus, trying oh so hard to sound happy and excited about her “new life” in San Francisco, when in fact she misses her past life so badly. She can deny it all she wants, but mild weather and hiking trails just won’t cut it.
Very few things deserve to be passionate about. When I heard during lunch today a girl say that she is passionate about her job – social media advertising – I almost gagged on an undercooked falafel piece I was rushing to swallow. Poor thing. She clearly doesn’t know what passion is. Hopefully, one day she will see the light at the of the tunnel of unfounded and undeserved excitement.
- Continue spending at least 2 hours a day on Facebook, posting useless comments, trivial photos, and filling your timeline with utterly mundane updates;
- Send at least 500 unnecessary, pointless text messages and gchat messages per day;
- Refreshing e-mail every 10 minutes while at work, instead of doing the work.
- Stare at your smartphone screen instead of the world around you at least 2 more hours per day, including during lunch and on your way to and from work;
- Spend at least 3 hours a week at happy hours, drinking and talking about nothing with people you don’t really care all that much about;
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day on the phone venting to your friend/s about how busy and stressed out you are by your soul-sucking job and/or dramatic boyfriend/girlfriend;
- Spend at least one hour a week watching football/baseball;
- Drive over three hours to hike for two hours at an area very similar to that which you can find 30 minutes away;
- Repeat all of the above till you completely brain dead. I promise you it will happen sooner than you think.